Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tomoe Gozen

The thing that scares me the most is death, thought I fought with great skill, just like a man I still yearned to live. I, a highly respected female samurai, I fought in the time of the Gempei War - around 1000 AD, I served under Minamoto Yoshinaka, a high level lord of the Minamoto clan. The Gempei War was about the Minamotos fighting with the Taira. In this war I say many things like men in large samurai cloths with staffs, sword, and bow and arrows at their sides. Many men rode on black stallions that had armor on them to keep them protected. The war did not just on land it was also in the water. As one of his top commanders, I led men into battle and was well respected. I however was incredibly talented with both bow and sword. I was often chosen for dangerous scouting missions because of my great skill, thought I accepted and I shoved my feeling and my sacredness deep inside me, so that none of the other warriors could see that I was afraid. Most men said that I to be a very pretty with long hair and fine features. I became the lover of Yoshinaka, but would never 'stay behind' when danger was about. I believed that I should be able to put my soldier's skills to their best use, even if I was a woman. When we won the war, I leader didn’t think it was enough, Yoshinaka wanted to be the head of the new ruling class. A battle ensued, though Yoshinaka and I stood our ground and died in the battle, I sometimes wondered if that last battle was a suicide battle or it was Yoshinaka’s wish to rule lots of things.

No comments: